Do you regularly travel in higher class compartments like AC1, AC2, CC, ? Then you can earn upto 10% discount on the amount you spend on the tickets. But there are other membership fees and rules.
Let’s see if Shubh Yatra is really beneficial:
Here is how it works
- For every booking you get Shubh Yatra points.
- You get points only on www.irctc.co.in official site bookings.
- Points are available for booking only in 2nd AC, 1AC compartments and not in 3rd AC.
- You can later redeem these points to buy tickets.
- One point is equal to one rupee.
- To redeem these points, just plan your travel on IRCTC site as you would and choose Shubh Yatra points on the payment page!
- How much points you can earn? In Off-season, i.e (January 15 – March 31 and July 15 – September 15) you get 10 points for every 100 rupees spent.
- Even during season time (Between April 1 – July 14 and September 16 – January 14) you earn 4 points for every 100 rupees spent.
- These points are valid for 3 years if you renew your membership every year on time.
- The points will lapse, if you don’t renew your membership after one year. You will however get a 90 day grace period.
- If you are a shubh yatra member you can enter any railway station without buying platform tickets. Well that’s not too much but nice little added benefit!
Practical Situation to see if it is really beneficial?
- Let’s say you have a family of four who travel to four times in a year.
- You spend 5000 rupees on each journey. So total amount spend within a year is 20,000.
- Let’s say you make around 7 points on every 100 rupees spend on average. So by the end of the year you will have 1400 points.
- With this money you can only buy AC compartment tickets.(except 3rd AC tickets).
If you are a regular traveler with big family and friends you can continue booking the tickets and use these points for your trips.
Certainly not the kind of offer that will interest many people. But some might benefit from it. I am not sure if there are many people using it. But it can be beneficial for people traveling in large groups as they will be able to accrue points quickly and redeem it.
This program sounds more like to promote traveling in higher class of Railways. As it does not available to people who travel in sleeper or 3rd ac classes. Which makes this program less accessible to most people.
What’s your opinion about this program? Do you think its worth it?